Science Bus captain wanted!
DITOs looking for enthusiastic, hands-on workshop leaders with excellent social skills and a love for science to drive the Science Bus across Europe. Turn the summer of 2017 into an adventure on the open road. Are you an experienced driver who wants to discover Europe? Do you have a love for DIY-science and enjoy teaching others new skills? Are you creative, curious, and like to document your daily adventures on social media? Then they might have the perfect summer job for you!
Science Bus: folk remedies under the microscope
In the Science Bus you will tour through Europe while hunting for forgotten remedies of local people. You will collect these local remedies and seek to understand how they work using DIY measuring instruments. Around themes such as health, food and the environment you will host experiments and workshops that aim to peak curiosity on folk wisdom.
Can I measure the water quality myself? How do I make my own sunscreen? How do I charge my phone if there is no electricity? We’ll find out in the Science Bus.
What are you going to do?
As the captain of our vessel, you’ll drive the Science Bus to various locations across Europe: from the Netherlands to Italy, from Kosovo to France. On location, you lead workshops in collaboration with local partners. During the trip, you collect and examine folk remedies from citizens across Europe and share the results online. We send you on your way with plenty of materials and “instructables” to make DIY measuring instruments with the locals.
Curious what a day in the life of a Science Bus captain would look like? Have a look at this information sheet.
What are we looking for?
A Science Bus captain:
- is an excellent driver who has no problem with driving long distances on European roads. Preferably our crew has a minimum age of 23 years old and has its driver license for at least 3 years.
- has experience with teaching or leading workshops.
- has experience working with electronics and/or basic skill in chemistry and biology.
- can work with machines like laser cutters, vinyl cutters, and 3D printers (cura).
- is fluent in English. We’re also looking for French-speaking Science Bus captains for part of the tour.
- is a real vlogger or video editor, or has the willingness to learn this.
- is very social and outgoing. You see the challenge and fun in giving workshops in an international setting.
- is flexible! This is not a 9-5 job.
- is very hands-on and always solution orientated.
DITOs is looking for charismatic duos (M/F) who can alternate with each other across Europe on the tour. You can either sign up as a duo or on your own. If you sign up on your own, you’ll be paired with someone else and hit the road together as a team. They are looking for six people (three pairs) for at least 3 consecutive weeks available from July to October 2017.
They offer you:
An unique opportunity to embark on a European adventure while gaining experience in giving workshops around DIY themes in an international setting. We develop the workshops, but there will be plenty of room for personal initiative during the tour. Before you depart, we’ll organize a boot camp to teach you all the basics for this trip. You’ll learn how to replace a tire, how to give workshops, how to vlog, and more.
DITOs offers you €1000,- based on 1 month work. This includes food and drinks along the way. In addition they organize your overnight stays.
About the project
As part of “Doing It Together Science”, Waag Society will realize the Science Bus in collaboration with the other partners.
How to apply?
Are you cut out for this kind of adventure? Apply by sending them your resume and a creative video message, up to 3 minutes in length with a link to your video, via email. Don’t forget to include your availability between July to October 2017.
The deadline for applications is the 28th of April 2017.