What are our aims?
The RAISE-CS project will tackle the issues and needs mentioned above in the frame of the relatively recent research field
of microplastic pollution that is causing global ecological and human health concerns. The overall goal of the RAISE-CS project is twofold:
- To lay the groundwork for implementing an EU-wide citizen science programme run in a robust and harmonised manner by secondary schools, and;
- To root citizen science in the European reference framework of key competences for lifelong learning with the view to integrating this practice in secondary schools curricula and use the sailboat as a motivation factor and a tool to develop interpersonal and soft skills
To reach this goal, we have set the following specific objectives :
- To demonstrate that secondary schools can generate reliable and useful data and knowledge within the research field of microplastic pollution;
- To associate citizen science with the eight key competences for lifelong learning and integrate the activities in a cross-disciplinary manner.
- To empower science teachers to connect and actively collaborate with the scientific community.
- To build a strategic roadmap for implementing an EU-wide scale microplastic pollution monitoring carried out by secondary schools in collaboration with the scientific community and other relevant stakeholders. we will write a reference document offering a strategic approach and process that is potentially transferable for developing EU-wide citizen science programmes for schools related to other themes.