Save the Date!
Advancing BioBlitzes to bring people and biodiversity together
22nd November 2017, Rome
BioBlitz events are important opportunities for public engagement with science, environmental management and policy. Acknowledging this, ECSA formed the BioBlitz Task & Finish group in January 2017, laying the foundation for the establishment of a Europe-wide network of BioBlitz organisers and stakeholders interested in its applications.
The work plan outlined for the group includes the development of resources, such as a policy brief, and the coordination of a series of events and activities to provide networking opportunities, to facilitate the sharing of good practices and to build capacity for this approach. The policy brief ´BioBlitz: Promoting cross-border Research and collaborative Practices for Biodiversity Conservation´ developed within the framework of the Horizon 2020 ´Doing It Together Science` project (DITOs), has benefited by contributions from the vast network of BioBlitz organisers internationally and has resulted in a series of recommendations.
This 1-day workshop, organised by ECSA in collaboration with members of the BioBlitz Task & Finish group and with support from DITOs, aims to reflect on best practices, to discuss challenges and opportunities, and to compare the different approaches adopted for organising a BioBlitz.
Participants will explore the potential applications of this approach, limitations and opportunities provided by available technologies, and particular focus will be placed on identifying practical resolutions for enhancing potential of BioBlitz to achieve a wide range of desirable outcomes (i.e. how to ensure a balance between public engagement, science education and collection of good quality data; how to retain volunteers after participation; how to mobilize data for science and policy making). Through the sharing of best practice and the exchange of experiences between stakeholders from different countries, the workshop expects to contribute to the development of the BioBlitz event format in Europe.
Objectives of the workshop
- Strengthening the Europe-wide network of BioBlitz organisers.
- Comparing different approaches for organising a BioBlitz.
- Discussing potential of BioBlitz to become more structured biodiversity monitoring schemes (i.e. long-term repeated monitoring in the same site).
- Identifying limitations and opportunities of BioBlitz with regards to the different applications (public engagement, science, environmental management, policy).
- Outline future capacity building activities such as exchanges visits.
- Guidelines to enhance the potential of BioBlitz to become a more structured biodiversity monitoring scheme.
- Road map of actions to mobilize BioBlitz data.
Updated workshop agenda:
Participation in this 1-day workshop is recommended for people with experience in BioBlitz organisation or alike biological surveying events. Priority for participation will be given to members of the ECSA BioBlitz Task & Finish group.
Maximum number of participants: 45
Register for the workshop here.
The event will take place at:
Department of Environmental Biology
Sapienza University of Rome
For any question regarding the event please contact Gaia Agnello.