Workshop at ECSA international Citizen Science conference, Geneva, June 2018
What empowers people and matters of concern in social change?
Who has what roles in research and advocacy?
How can co-creation, inclusiveness and equity become part of cooperation between scientists and civil society?
This workshop stimulates exchange between practitioners from community-based research as done in Science Shops and citizen science on the topic of empowerment in its many facets, among them inclusiveness and equity. Our aim is to identify joint questions for future collaboration, e.g. in an ECSA working group.
More information is here: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/ECSA2018-EIE
09:45 Welcome and introduction, Michael Søgaard Jørgensen (why this is important in a CBR context + empowerment) & Claudia Göbel (why this is important in a CS context + workshop methodology)
10:00 Input presentations by people who have worked on empowerment:
- Barbara Kieslinger - Open and participatory citizen social science for evidence-based decision making
- Balint Balazs - Invisible Citizen Social Science
- Thomas Hervé Mboa Nkoudou - Inclusiveness is also getting out of your comfort zone and learning from others : What Western Citizen Science can learn from Africa?
- Muki Haklay - What practices of inclusiveness suit different types of citizen science activities? When should we use "Build it and they'll come", "no one left behind", or "show your commtment first"?
- Libby Hepburn - How can we reach out through work on the SDG's to create empowerment in communities to contribute more to project inclusiveness and equity? Global scale?
10:25 Breaking into groups and discussing topics highlighted in talks as well as others proposed by attendees further
10:50 Converging back to plenary - identifying topics of commomn interests, e.g for an ECSA working group on empowerment, inclusiveness and equity in citizen science
11:00 End of session
The topics of discussion are followed up in our newly founded ECSA working group on Empowerment, Inclusiveness & Equity. We're happy to be in touch!